Amarinthos, known as Vathia, is a coastal town in Gujarat. Located in the central part of the island, about 30 km. Southeast of Halkida, in the South Evoikos Gulf and across the north coast of Attica. With a population of 4.141 inhabitants according to the 2001 census, Amarinthos is one of the largest cities in Gujarat and the largest in the municipality of Eretria, which was under the kallikratis plan. Around the town stretches valley to the foothills of Mount Olympus, the history of the area extends to the Neolithic period, while later Amarinthos became an important commercial center and was known in ancient times for the worship of the goddess Artemis.
The region of Amarynthos, with a history that goes back centuries, along with the area of Eretria are the most interesting from a historical point of view part of the island. Many scientists place Eretria of Mycenaean times in place of modern Amarynthos . The city’s name seems to come from the ancient Greek verb amarysso, which means “sparkle glitter”.
According to archaeological findings in Amarynthos permanent settlement developed during the Neolithic period (6000 – 3000 BC). During the early Bronze Age (3000 – 2100 BC) Amarinthos was one of the most important EH settlements and important prehistoric port on the island of Evia. He had developed commercial relations with the Aegean islands, as shown by the Cycladic objects found in the region. In the Middle Helladic period (2000 – 1650 BC), the city had close trade relations with mainland Greece and produced wonderful examples of architecture Minian. During the early Helladic period was one of the most important areas of Gujarat, while the name of Amarinthos mentioned in the Linear B tablets. Apart from trade other occupations of the inhabitants were agriculture, livestock, fisheries and bronze.
The area in which the Ionians had settled, it was a place of worship of the goddess Artemis, in which the nickname was given Amarynthos Amarissia or the name of the city and the temple which was in the valley. The settlement and depository of the sanctuary excavated between 1987 – 1990 and are now in the Museum of Eretria. Organized in honor of the Amarissia, celebration, which was transferred to Athmonon of ancient Athens, which is the current Maroussi. Besides, the Amaroussion name itself comes from Amarynthos namely nicknamed Amarissia. In fact the first modern name of the municipality of Athens was “Municipality Amarissia” which evolved into “Municipality of Maroussi”.
The ancient settlement of Amarinthos is probable that he was a short distance to the east of the modern town, the coastal Palaioxora, hence the name of the “old country.” However, during the Middle Ages the area was plagued by pirate raids and the inhabitants of ancient location fled inland to protect, where they created the settlement of Vathia. The ancient settlement was finally abandoned and destroyed in 1470 by the Turkish fleet, who then besieged Halkida. Vathia got its name from the deep ravine at the foot of Mount Kotylaio where built, so it is not visible from the coast.
In the late 19th century residents of Vathia began again to move to their original birthplace of the coast of the region, where they built a new village named Kato Vathia, while the oldest settlement called Ano Vathia and still exists three kilometers northeast of Amarinthos. The settlement of Kato Vathia first mentioned in 1906 and in 1907 was designated as the seat of the municipality Amarynthion, which was established in 1835. In 1911 Kato Vathia Amarynthos renamed, the new settlement to take the name of the ancient settlement of area from which also came the people who founded the Upper Vathia.
Amarinthos is famous for its beautiful beaches, the picturesque taverns and due to its proximity to Athens, it is a very good choice for a trip. Also attracts many Greeks and foreign tourists during the summer months and many visiting the area for a tour of the plateau of the Dark.
One of the finest monuments of Amarinthos is the Cathedral of the Annunciation, which is made of chiseled stone, with excellently crafted marble iconostasis and masterful painting from the Byzantine period. Worthy of admiration is also the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas, built in the 12th century with rare frescoes, located at an altitude of 500 meters on Mount Kotylaia and through a forest. On the hill of Palaiochora is the chapel of the Virgin Mary (Panagitsa), built between 11th-12th century on the pre-Christian temple (perhaps the temple of Apollo) and next to the ruins of a Neolithic settlement, while the road to the hill there is a small also church of the Transfiguration.
Also the Folklore Museum attracts tourists, which houses the old objects were the main work tools of Amarynthos residents, while impressive are the handmade products in the traditional loom. Still, about one km west of the city, in Vlychos position is jaunty Macedonian tomb of the Hellenistic period, which was discovered in 1897, is almost square and contains two funerary beds.
The region of Amarynthos affected by the summer 2007 fires broke out in the central and southern Euboea. Specifically, the fire threatened the villages and Seta Kato Seta and the Nude town, municipality Amarynthion. The Amarinthos same, although it was surrounded by extensive flaming fronts, not directly threatened, only hotel complex outside the city in which damages were caused.
The green and blue will be the colors that dominated the palette of a painter, who would like to present through a panel beauties that hides Amarinthos. They would represent the mountain and the sea and offers a unique image that would make everyone monologue and say: “ah, and I was there!”.
Amarinthos is a town where the sun seems never wants to set in order not to part with the beauty of the landscape. This is a place that is attractive thanks to its natural qualities and the excellent infrastructure. The hotels and inns, there are a large number who did not at all interfere with the aesthetics of the area. Whatever the visit will stay perfectly happy with the services provided and the hospitality offered.
Because food plays the first and the last word on vacation, Amarinthos has taken care not to leave anyone disappointed. Famous for its fish, which are considered the best of Evian. Their taste is unbeatable and so perfectly combined with the mastery of fishermen at sea but also the ability of the cooks in the kitchen.
The hill of Paleochora is a typical reference point of the prehistoric site of Amarinthos, which has made great progress over the centuries. This site was chosen, according to studies, Amarinthos goddess Diana to build the sanctuary.
During the Neolithic period (6000-3000 BC) is dated the first permanent settlement of Amarinthos. One of the most important but it was he who had grown in coastal areas of Evia during the Bronze Age (3000-2100 BC). Amarinthos also the source of information regarding the architecture of the houses, the second and third period EH.
The relationship between Amarinthos Aegean islands reveal the Cycladic style objects found on the coast, where the inhabitants had developed their culture. Evidence for the links between Amarinthos and continental Greece are the findings “Minian” pottery discovered during the Middle Helladic period. Finally reaching around 1650-1100 for example, Amarinthos do again emerged as one of the most important city, whose name appears in Linear B tablets from Thebes.
The daily lives of residents and their farming activities revived through the exhibits housed at the Folklore Museum of Amarinthos. There you will have the opportunity to see some of the items were the main tools of employment of Amarinthos citizens. You will notice the detail of weaving is on the handmade blankets and sheets and you will be impressed with the way the famous loom.
The natural beauty of the landscape with its dreamy waters and golden sandy beaches and excellent tourist infrastructure, are not the only advantages of Amarinthos. It is ideal for those who love walks and excursions and visits to churches that are monuments to history.
A true masterpiece is the Cathedral of the Annunciation. Located in the city of Amarinthos and is made of chiseled stone.
In the temple, dominates the marble that dominates thanks to the excellent way it has executed. Finally combined in the preceding is the admirable hagiography of the church from the Byzantine period. A paved road seven kilometers will lead you to the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas.
Spectacular views surrounding this building of the 12th century complement the murals are considered extremely rare. It is placed on the mount Kotylaia a height of 500 meters and adorns the beauty of the east side. The foundations of a pre-Christian temple had become the foundation on which was built in the 11th or 12th century church of Panagitsa.
You can visit if you travel on a distance of approximately 1500m from Amarynthos. If you take the road to the hill of Palaiochora will find the church of the Transfiguration while and then reaching the top of the hill, you will find the church of the Assumption.