Agia Anna is a village and seat of the homonymous community, of municipal unity Nileos, municipality Mantoudi – Lake – St. Anne, regional unity (former county) Evia, in the region of Central Greece.
Formerly belonged to the province of Halkida Evia, in the geographic region of Central Greece.
In the community also includes Agali and Palaiovrysi settlements.
Agia Anna is located in B. Evia, on the eastern edges of Dry conditions in position dominating the Aegean Sea, inside the bay of St. Basil. It is designated as a rural hilly village with an area of 27 118 km², a weighted average altitude of 243 (280 the settlement). It is about from Halkida, 76 km., And from Athens 156 km. To the northeast.
The evolution of St. Anne’s population is as follows: Residents 1,408 (1961) 1,303 / 1,404 (n.) (1971), 1365 (n.) (1991) 884 / 1,232 (n.) (2001) 729 / 1,009 (n.) (2011) (n. = community).
Agia Anna officially recorded as a settlement since 1835.
With Gov. 245A – 08.16.1912 seconded by Nileas and designated as the seat of St. Anne community
With Gov. 244A – 04/12/1997 detached from the community St. Anne and was chosen as the Nileas
With Gov. 87A – 07/06/2010 detached from the municipality Nileos and annexed to Mantoudi municipality – Lake – St. Anne
According to archaeological research and from various findings, it appears that there were settlements in the area since the Paleolithic period still. Many buildings have been found in the peninsula of St. Basil Agali mentioning fortified position. [Pending referral] During the Turkish period the St. Anna like other villages of North. Gujarat, despite having no particular problems with the Turks, accepted continuous attacks by pirates who roamed the area. Typical is the small bay called Agali called “Sarakiniko”. Later, at the end of the 18th century, when the management of North. Gujarat came under the jurisdiction of Ali Pasha, began to develop commercial activity by sea to the Northern Sporades and Volos. After liberation from the Turks, Agia Anna continued to be an important center of the region and flourished.
The inhabitants are mainly engaged in agricultural work, but lately due to the increasing tourism development is the torque range to other forms of employment. The village population has made a downward trend in recent decades because of lack of work, following the downgrading of the wider area mines.
The folklore museum operating since 1981, with traditional costumes, jewelry, textiles, agricultural, household and other tools and objects used in everyday life of the inhabitants. Recently the museum was moved to a better and more comfortable space and enriched with more exhibits
In the village center is the main square with the church of the Assumption
On the north side is the holy temple of St. Anne with the miraculous image which it owes its name to the settlement.
The extensive pebble beach of the village (4 km), which is in the southern part of is sandy
The St. Basil peninsula in the north, with the church of St. Panteleimon
Agia Anna is known for its traditional carnival which takes place on Shrove Tuesday. Residents prepare floats and costumes designed symbol the phallus and sing satirical songs “obscenity” content.